On Apr 28 2015, Glyn Millington <glyn.milling...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath <nikol...@rath.org> writes:
>

>> Well, yes, if you don't pass 'gnus to the bbdb-mua-auto-update-init
>> function, then it won't parse any Gnus article buffers.
>>
>> However, I *want* bbdb3 to parse the Gnus article buffers under same
>> conditions. I tried implemeting this conditions in a custom
>> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p functions, but it did not work. When debugging
>> this, I found out that even the trivial case of setting
>> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p to nil does not prevent bbdb from parsing the
>> gnus buffers - thus my question here.
>>
>> To me this looks like a bug. Am I missing something?
>
> Not sure!  I've pasted that chunk of your config down below to comment
> in it.

> So it won't automatically update but

> It will ASK if you want to update

No. According to the documentation, this is the return value for
`bbdb-select-message`. But bbdb select message should never be called if
bbdb-mua-auto-update-p is nil.

> That being said, I'm not clear what it is you are trying to achieve.  It
> might help to post your custom  bbdb-mua-auto-update-p and explain what
> you are hoping will result.

Well, I really just want bbdb to stop ignoring the
bbdb-mua-auto-update-p variable. I think that before that works, there
is little point in setting it to a custom function and posting that
function.

That said, my eventual goal is to have bbdb automatically update
addresses in only some Gnus groups.

Best,
-Nikolaus