On 01/04/2010 11:14 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2010/1/4 Jim Haynes <jhhay...@earthlink.net>:
>> I've just joined the list, and most of the stuff is way over my head.
>> Is there a list for b43 users?

As you have noticed, this is a list for developers. The user-type questions are
generally handled in distro forums.

>> I just got a Dell i1545 laptop and put Fedora 12 on it.  The current
>> kernel is 2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64
>>
>> lspci says [14e4:4315] (rev 01)  and the b43 web page says support is
>> "in progress"  but I don't see a date for that status.

As Rafał told you, that driver is in kernel 2.6.32.

>> I installed the firmware in /lib/firmware/b43 like the web page says
>>
>> dmesg reports
>> b43-phy0: Broadcom 4312 WLAN found (core revision 15)
>> b43-phy0: ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY  (Analog 6, Type 5, Revision 1)
>> b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -95
>>
>> Is there anything you need me to test for and report?  Or anything I can
>> do to get this working?  Or should I just wait? (I have no pressing need
>> for it to work just now)
>
> That is LP PHY based wireless card and LP has basic support in 2.6.32
> kernel. You have .31 so it's unsupported PHY for you.
>
> After upgrading to 2.6.32 you should hopefully get stable but still
> low performance support for your card.

As an alternative to switching to kernel 2.6.32, you could implement the
compat-wireless package. As for performance, the 4315/b43 combination receives
at a rate of about 20 Mb/s and sends at 12 Mb/s. This is not full 802.11g rate,
but quite respectable. The connection is very stable.

Larry