At 12:03 PM 10/11/2002 -0400, Sharon wrote:

 Equisetium arvense is the recommended one for biodynamics, we had the other
hymale growing in our garden and did an experiment, with fermenting it. The
hymale did not have the strong potent smell as does the arvense, although it
is similar. it seems worth the trouble to get the arvense to me. :)Sharon

Hymale is the naked stem we call "joint-grass". It has no leaves and the spore cone is on the end of the stalk. So it's pretty different. Of course, I don't really know how different the various members of the equisetum family might be for prep making. All have high silica and sort of micro-teeth like scales in their outer surface. Which is why they were used as "scouring rush".

I don't feel I fully understand why equisetum is what it is. I used to think that the tea was contributing Si but now I think it is much more subtle than that. I sent in a post a while back about JPI's analysis showing that the tea has a high S content. And the plant itself can be described as a Ca plant. RS describes it as "pushing back" excessive etheric force, as opposed to "drawing in" higher formative forces, as done by the Si in 501. Or the "pulling in" of etheric forces as done by the oak bark /skull prep. This sort of connects with Ca and sort of connects with having a purely vegetative stalk. And S is the important catalyst for bringing in higher formative forces. I also note that RS described equisetum in a different context from the other preps. It's separated from the 500/501 axis, separate from the compost pile preps, and included in his discussion of lunar/water aspects connected with remedies for "disease". All makes it a very interesting subject.

David Robison
Stellar Processes
1033 SW Yamhill Suite 405
Portland, OR 97205