Merla went looking for some cow manure on a
BD farm to make her Horn Manure and her CPP.

Some practical advice came back to use what you got,
locally, even though it ain't exactly organic.

Generally speaking I go along with practical advice like
that.  Get the engine running, the adjust the carburetor.

Yet, the tale of the four cow pies comes to mind.

All of these farms I have walked on in the last year, so my
observations are fresh in my mind, and it is something
I'm reflecting on.

Ozark Farm #1:  Rotational grazing; integrated with turkey
manure and composting.  I can go into long details about all the
conservation practices and subsequent healthy indicators
coming back to this farm.  The farm is not organic but it is
certainly a model of a sustainable grass-based livestock farm.
The bottomline is the cow pie. These animals are healthy cows
with healthy cow pies. The cow dung is quickly invaded by
teeming hordes of insect life, especially dung beetles.  Within
a few hours it looks like an apartment dwelling with tunnels
and honeycombs.  Within a few days is has flattened to the
earth.  Nutrient cycling thus accomplished; organic matter
returned to the earth. A living energy exchange has taken
place.

Ozark Farm #2:  The farm has cows, yet it is a run down
farm because they use continuous grazing and they
medicate the cows heavily and use systemic insecticides
to worm the cows.  The forages are low grade and
over run with weeds.  When the cow pie hits the ground
it just sits there.  Weeks later it is still there in the same
shape.  The only insects visible are flies, indicators of
a putrefactive microbial turn of events. There is no life in this
cow dung, it is a rotting corpse of undigested organic matter.

India Farm #3:  The typical Indian peasant farm is integrated,
working 1-3 acres of subsistance foods and cash crops with
a bullock to raise a few extra rupees.  The family lives
close to their animals.  They keep a cow for milk and yogurt,
a few baby animals lounge about, and a bullock or two is there
to work the fields.  The woman gathers leaves and grass for
bedding, and hay for fodder. The farmyard manure (FYM) is
used to spread on fields, or used in a compost pile or to make
vermicompost.  The animals are healthy and contented.   They
exude a peaceful calm.  It is against the law to kill a cow in India.
The cows are naturally healthy and free of antibiotics and
insecticides.  The dung is free of contaminants, it is strong
in quality and life force.  The dung is used for soil fertility, for
fuel cakes, and to smear on walls as an insulation, among other
uses, including BD compost and CPP.

India Farm #4:  The farm uses water buffalo, so the dung is
buffalo dung.  A group of Indian farmers are visiting, sitting
around drinking tea and discussing the merits of biodynamic
farming.  A question arises as to any differences in quality
and power of CPP, cow pit pat, between cow dung and buffalo
dung.  The answer comes back from the more experienced
biodynamic farmers that buffalo dung has 40% power.

So I am reflecting on these observations and the quality of
cow dung.  I remember seeing those dead cow pies on
an adjacent pasture, and then I think why not drive my pickup
truck to a farm a little further away to gather cow manure
of better quality.

Steve Diver

P.S.
My colleagues at ATTRA put these two items together
on nutrient cycling and dung beetles, of interest perhaps
to some readers.   The dung beetle pub is especially
fun to read and think about.

Dung Beetle Benefits in the Pasture Ecosystem
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/dungbeetle.html
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/PDF/dungbeetle.pdf

Nutrient Cycling in Pastures
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nutcycle.html