----- Original Message -----
From: Cheryl Kemp

> David, I brought this up to our National Organic/Biodynamic Production
> Standards committee (Australia)and they have spoken with the CSIRO re
> research into this issue. David Matthews is an Ex Vet and knows all about
> this stuff, and has mates in the right places.  Now we have to look at
> research funding, especially trying to get the Organic levies outof the
> non-organic sphere. But fear not, it is being taken seriously and wheels
are
> in motion.
> I really appreciate the discussion happening on BDNow to help this issue
> along.

Cheryl and David
                             What are the present FOOD SAFETY regulations
that apply to use of Compost tea and similar materials on food crops - and I
think here would be included things like liquid fish fertiliser, liquid
kelp, some of the humate products. ???
           Who sets these rules ?? Who enforces them ??  I know I am a bit
strange but I dont think it is the place of certifying agencies like BFA &
co to make decisions based on food safety that affect the whole community,
after all crappy compost tea sprayed on conventionally raised crops is gonna
be just as unsafe.? Shouldnt this be someone else's patch - the same people
that certify the safeness of GMO raised and Endosulfan enriched vegies
should be in charge of that??
           My local reseller of toxicology just informed me that Endosulfan
is still legal on vegetables as is parathion and chloropyrifos - witholding
periods of a matter of days from spraying to consumption - but if you want
to spray it on grass to feed to beef cattle for export slaughter its six
months witholding. (just a sample of what we are up against). This whole
deal on CT regs is about multinational money - got nothing to do with
consumer safety (or very little anyway)
Lloyd Charles