>Frank - It's my understanding that the compost vicki used was so poor
>that it technically was not compost. It most definitely was not GOOD
>COMPOST THAT HAD E-COLI, but it was drawn from uncomposted materials
>at a commercial compost facility. Am I off base here?
>
>If I'm making a point, the first would be that neither you nor I
>would have used compost that was that 'raw' and that, according to
>Elaine, the commercial composter who was working with that material
>would have turned out a finished compost well within acceptable
>e-coli levels. So, in this case, the composting process itself would
>have remediate what Vicki has chosen to elevate to 'problem status.'
>no?

Allan,

Here's my two centavos. I think you may be right, BUT.

The feedlots may be spreading E. coli HR 0157: 07 and the government may be
running interference for them while inspecting the organic industry with a
fine toothed comb. THAT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. So the dice are loaded and the
game's rigged? So what!

The truth is that as the alternative to crap food that will kill you we
need to set as high a standard as we can manage. What can we do and how
high a standard can we manage to set? This is the road to responsibility,
not blame. I can't believe how many people have their definition of
responsibility collapsed with blame, but there it is.

Vicki, Elaine, Will, etc. are not the problem. We are the ones who can do
what needs to be done. And to look to the government for help is probably a
waste of time, but some of us will do that too. I think it helps keep
government a few percent honest when people do look to it for the right
actions, so if anyone wants to do that, I think they deserve support. But
the bottom line in my book has always been growing the best food we can.

Best,
Hugh

Visit our website at: www.unionag.org