NOSB
c/oKatherine Benham
Room 4008-South Building
1400 and Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-0001

Dear Katherine,

There is much in the NOSB approach that is worrysome to a small, 7 acre
researcher/producer such as myself. So far it looks like 2002 will be the
last year we will be certified organic and thus allowed to use the term
"organic" even though we have for 27 years pioneered in this field. Seems
like we should have been grandfathered in as far as the use of the word
organic goes instead of having our terminology taken away in what seems a
power grab from our point of view.

Nevertheless, I could not have voiced my position better than Jeff Herman
of Washington TILTH. So I submit his thoughts for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Hugh M. S. Lovel, Director
Union Agricultural Institute
8475 Dockery Road
Blairsville, Georgia 30512

Comment Sent by Tilth Producers President
Jeff Herman:

To the National Organic Standards Board,

My name is Jeff Herman and I represent Tilth Producers of Washington
State. We are a 400-member organization of organic farmers, processors,
handlers, and consumers. We have reviewed the draft Organic Farm Plan and
Organic Farm Plan Update and would like to take this opportunity to
comment on them.

Our concerns regard the detail needed in Sec.2: Farm Plan Info, Sec.3:
Seeds and seed treatment, and Sec.6: Crop management, A. Crop rotation
plan. There are many direct market farmers in this state that farm by the
foot row or by the square foot, not acres. They grow small amounts of many
varieties of crops. They change varieties and crops to accommodate the
market as it develops throughout the season, adapting to the changing
market needs. We feel the draft plan is a one size fits all plan, and does
not take into account small farms that do not have the resources to
provide the documentation required. We believe the NOP should consider
making a category for small direct marketers. They could then list their
crops generally, submit their invoices from the purchases of their seeds,
and submit a general farm plan or farm philosophy thereby meeting the
requirements on the plan and update without the copious amounts of
paperwork that is now required to enter amendments and treatments.

There is a lot of worry among small organic farmers that the paper work is
going to push them out of being certified. Certification is of less value
to direct market farmers who promote their produce directly by word of
mouth. Many of these farmers have been organic for fifteen, twenty years
or more and are so because it is a philosophy of living, not of income.
They have been integral to building the foundation of organic agriculture
and we believe the NOP should work to keep small farmers in the
certification process for the future. Their point of view and ideas are
invaluable to the future organic agriculture in this country. We recognize
and appreciate the hard work the NOSB has put into bringing us a fair
national program. Nevertheless, there seems to be a tendency to make
policy work for the concerns of large farms and industrial agriculture.
Creating two farm plans would enable certifying agents to monitor larger
farms and to allow small acreage/direct market farms to continue and still
fulfill the requirements of the program. We urge the NOP and the NOSB to
keep the interest of small farms a priority.

Thank you,

Jeff Herman, President
Tilth Producers
P.O.Box 85056