Fancy this. I nearly fell off my chair.  Came upon the word "Anthroposophy" in print in the journal Nature while reading a "concepts" article just out by Senior Editor Henry Gee which is denying that evolution is progressive.

First some quotes of Gee's viewpoint: "It [evolution] is not a force, an entity separate from the materials on which it acts." "It is directionless with respect to history; if there is direction in evolution (perhaps biased by developmental constraint), it is not propelled by any inherent drive for improvement." "...mindless selection."

Gee asks "So why, almost a century and a half after Darwin, do we still so readily accept this view of evolution as progressive?"  He then answers "I blame nature philosophy, a remarkable movement that flowered in Germany in the eighteenth century, and whose adherents were both acutely scientific and breathlessly romantic at the same time."

Gee then gives a dandy quote from Oken: " 'What is the animal kingdom other than an anatomized man, the macrocosm of the microcosm?' " [Anyone know source of that passage?] and moves on to Goethe.  Then smack dab in the middle of the page, Gee writes: "Although nature philosophy is long dead, such sentiments still find ready acceptance among alternative or 'holistic' philosophies.  Anthroposophy--the world view of twentieth-century philosopher Rudolf Steiner--draws heavily on Goethe, and a germ of nature philosophy survives, if buried, in every anti-scientific, anti-establishment eco-warrior."

Not exactly a flattering presentation of anthroposophy. Yet, Gee does close his opinion piece thus: "Perhaps there is a nature philosopher in us all."
Barry Lia \ [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ Seattle WA