From: Resonant Info
To: Biodynamic Food and Farming Discussion
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: Alex Podolinsky

I just caught up with Alex a few weeks ago.  He and Frances Porter were doing a tour of Demeter properties up the east coast of Australia, up past the Atherton Tablelands, as far as I know, and back down the coast to Victoria.
He didn't seem like a man to lay back and "enjoy his moment of glory in the sun".  He's still working hard for Biodynamics and is mentally alert and fully on top of things - I don't think there's anything going on here that he isn't aware of, for example.
Alex's priority is with people who are serious about growing food for other people, on a scale he thinks is worth his time and trouble.  He has no time for people who have an "interest" in BD or are just curious.  As he says, there are other vehicles for these people.
I have always been impressed by Alex and even more so at this last meeting.

Dear all,

Could I support James comments on Alex Podolinsky.

He held his lamp high on the hill, when many were cupboard BDers.

He took his beliefs to an unbelieving public, on mainline media, when, even  today, many hide in secrecy and obscure places such as this list.

He has built his own monument, a huge acreage of BD.

I would, that those who seek to belittle him, should hold their hand until they equal his effort. He is not perfect, I know I am not and there are others I think may also have the odd imperfection.

Gil

James Hedley wrote:
Greetings to all,
I agree with Hugh about Alex Podolinsky having carried the torch for Biodynamics in Australia for so long.
Even growers, that I have met, who have been asked by Alex to leave the organization never doubt his integrity.
The great service that he has done is to test the limits of the BD techniques that were claimed to be the way to  farm Biodynamically.
Alex Podolinsky oversaw a long term trial that was able to show where the BD system needed to be improved.
Alex was not the only person who went down the predominantly BD500 path. When I first joined the Association generally accepted wisdom was that you should not use BD501 in Australia because there was enough light. Not enough was known about the role of Silica in plant production. Mainstream agronomists are now looking at the role of Silica in production of grasses and crops such as Oats, Barley and Wheat. Times change, old opponents to ideas die off and the new generation without a barrow to push just do it.
We need to allow an old man to enjoy his moment of glory in the sun, thank him for his dedication and pick up the torch and do the work of the day, not criticize and try to pull apart the work that others have done.
James Hedley

Hugh Lovel wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Finally have heard word that Alex Podolinsky will be talking at the uni in
>Orange on the first weekend of August. Unsure of the details but will post
>these when confirmed. I'd be happy to put questions to him on behalf of
>others. Keeping in mind what Hamish has written; I can't help but think if
>not for this man would there be any Biodynamic groups in Australia today?
>
>Allan I'll do my best to tape the talk, but you may have to wait to hear it
>on our website?
>
>L&L
>Liz

Folks?

You want to know what I liked, nay, cherished and admired, about Alex Podolinsky? He faithfully answered every letter I ever wrote to him, and I wrote him twice, needing help and guidance but not wanting to be a pest, many long years ago. I had a sense he really cared, whatever else may have been. I will always be thinking to care as well myself, though I find many letters slip through the cracks.

Hugh Lovel
Visit our website at: www.unionag.net

Graeme Gerrard
1480 Sapphire Coast Drive