Hi,

Learning Perl is a great book, but anyone looking for an alternative should
check out Minimal Perl by Tim Maher. I've found this book to be a little
clearer and with more practical examples.

I've used Perl on windows for years, as it is far more powerful and portable
than Batch and Powershell. Of course I also use it on mac and linux, and I can
use the same scripts on all platforms :)

Most of my coding has been in making small command line utilities.
Like a script for renaming multiple files at once - which I use a lot for
renaming photos from my camera and downloaded movies.

And one that runs a command whenever a file changes in a directory - I use this
all the time for automatically running tests when I make changes to a code base.

I also use perl every time I need to process or generate reports.

While other languages, like python, offer more employment opportunities, I
don't see myself switching. Perl is simply better and more suited for the tasks
I use it for.

Perl has stronger regexes than anything else, has custom delimiters to avoid
leaning toothpicks and similar issues, and allows for quick building and
manipulation of strings, lists, and hashes.

-L