> when is an array in perl declared with [] instead of ()?

Using the [ ] delimiters you are creating a *reference* to an array. (Think
of a reference as the memory address where the array is stored). So

my $foo = [1,2,3];

is equivalent to the following, because given an array the \ gets the
reference to that array:

my @bar = (1,2,3);
my $foo = \@bar;

> why aren't arrays created the same way when being passed as parameters to
functions (when signatures are being used)?

The signatures aren't doing much other than automatically assigning parts
of @_ to variables declared in the signature.
(For more detail, see
https://www.effectiveperlprogramming.com/2015/04/use-v5-20-subroutine-signatures/
)

In the code you provided:

sub reply_multi ( $xmpp_o, $rcpts, $msg ) {

the argument $rcpts is expected to be a *reference* to an array, rather
than an array. It's a reference because in this line:

    foreach my $rcpt (@$rcpts) {

@$rcpts is "dereferencing" to get the array.

> Parentheses should take precendence, shouldn't they?

They don't. The array is flattened into the list of arguments which means
that:

reply_multi( \$daemon{xmpp_o}, \($adminuser{fromJID}, $fromJID), "blah" );

becomes

reply_multi( \$daemon{xmpp_o}, \$adminuser{fromJID}, \$fromJID, "blah" );

resulting in the error:

"Too many arguments for subroutine 'main::reply_multi' (got 4; expected 3)".