Am 06.07.2006 um 18:34 schrieb Greg Smith:

I actually wish that EToys was introduced and structured so that it specifically was aimed at teaching me to program rather than to teach me Mathematics and Science. But maybe it will do both.

The focus of etoys indeed is math and science. It's more a simulation environment than a system to learn programming. That means it can do much more than a programming language, but at the same time many concepts of "programming" are not supported, or sometimes in an unusual way.

IMHO it's still a good start for anyone, but to specifically learn programming you will have to switch to "Smalltalk", the language in Squeak. There is a nice Book by Mark Guzdial about this:

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130280283/

        http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~mark.guzdial/drafts/

- Bert -