On Feb 27, 2007, at 22:05 , Blake wrote:

Greetings,

I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my Smalltalk knowledge and so am going through some of the free books (thanks, Steph!). Right now I'm looking at "Smalltalk By Example" where it talks about the absence of private messages. (I've run up against methods that were private I've needed so much in other langauges that I'm not a big fan of the concept, but that aside...)

Anyway, it suggests using a my- prefix for privates and an fr- for friends (or "protected", I guess).

        Thoughts?

I've never seen a "fr" prefix, and seldomly a "my". To emphasize privacy, "private" seems to be the most common prefix (just check a regular image).

There is also a private prefix that is even enforced by the compiler: "pvt". It will only allow to send this to "self". This should only be used in highly sensitive places, if at all.

- Bert -