> On May 26, 2016, at 8:29 AM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk]
> <ml-node+s1294792n4897552...@n4.nabble.com> wrote:
>
> One more question for you.  I mentioned returning a newly created instance or
> a specific class from a class side method.  Can you name another reason why
> you would write a method on the class side?

When you want the class as a whole to do something.  When there is only one
instance of an object and other is not desirable or logical.

For example, one compiler: two is not practical.  One instance of the number
Pi.  One instance of Nil. Why would you need another?

> Why would it be a good idea to put a method on the class side instead of the
> instance side?  (a hint for you, I’m thinking of something where nothing is
> returned. (of course in Smalltalk if nothing is returned you get back self,
> what I mean is that nothing useful is returned)) Bonus points for 2 or more
> answers with or without returning
> something J.

You would put a method on the class side when the method applies to all
instances of the class.  For example, Window closeAllWindows.  Or Process
stopAllProcesses.   Or Smalltalk saveImage.

I don’t think this is what you had in mind, though.

Sincerely,

Joe.