On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
[snip]
>> Hi Marco,
>>
> [snip]

> Net::IRC - DEPRECATED Perl interface to the Internet Relay Chat protocol
> USE THESE INSTEAD ^
>
> This module has been abandoned and is no longer developed. This release serves
> only to warn current and future users about this and to direct them to
> supported and actively-developed libraries for connecting Perl to IRC. Most
> new users will want to use Bot::BasicBot, whereas more advanced users will
> appreciate the flexibility offered by POE::Component::IRC. We understand that
> porting code to a new framework can be difficult. Please stop by #perl on
> irc.freenode.net and we'll be happy to help you out with bringing your bots
> into the modern era.
>>>>>>>>>>>

> Regards,
>
>        Shlomi Fish

The point still stands, though, that one of the wonderful things about
CPAN is that the source code for all the modules is available. DCC is
a solved problem. Yes, several people have "examples or hints," and
those reside in the source for Net::IRC, Bot::BasicBot, and
POE::Component::IRC. The thing to do is to take a module you like and
see how it implements the interface.

Of course, the *best* thing is usually to just use the module, but
sometimes there are good reasons not to. Just make sure to give credit
where credit is due and respect the license of whatever source of
inspiration you turn to.

HTH,

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.downloadsquad.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!