On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 at 11:45, armando perez pena <mandyapp2...@msn.com>
wrote:

> Hello William,
>
> Perl is a programming language easy to use an relative easy to learn. But
> is very very tricky.

I, personally, don't think perl is any trickier than any other language.
Larry, who studied linguistics, borrowed a lot of syntax from C and the
unix shell to keep things familiar. For regexes there was no blueprint and
the grammar is a little terse. I like to think that is out of necessity
rather than design. If you're new to programming/scripting, it will not
take you long to figure out ! mean negation.

I do agree with you that a recent edition of Learning Perl [1] is a good
starting place.

What surprises me about this thread, and others on this list, is that there
is little or no reference to the excellent documentation that Perl has.

use `perldoc perlretut`  from the command line for a quick regex tutorial.
`perldoc toc` to see the full and vast amount of POD available at your
finger-tips on your local PC.
Or visit https://perldoc.perl.org [2] and see it all in technicolor.

If we are concerned about advocacy, we should direct people to the official
documentation that the Perl Foundation has invested heavily in, and
perhaps, not describe this beautiful, powerful and expressive language as
very tricky.
Apologies for the mini rant,
Dermot

[1]  https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/learning-perl-6th/9781449311063/