(sorry joe, the earlier one to you was supposed to have been to the list
instead)
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:10 , John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>swayam panda am Donnerstag, 22. Dezember 2005 05.49:
[ . . ]
>> foreach ( system ls) {
>>
>> if (/1.pl/) {
>> print ;}}
>> Here the output is all the file of the CWD.
>
>Called this way, ls prints directly to STDOUT, and system returns the status
>of the system call. Return values are *not* the file names.

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting ie prints above the print statement and
return value of 0 assigned -- the next code demonstrates.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my @ls_list = system("ls");
print @ls_list, "\n----lslist-----\n\n";