On 4/28/06, Jamil Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Progga is also using BN shortcuts in GNOME.
IIRC he is using GNOME on FreeBSD.

> So if it is GNOME specific problem (surely,
> it can be there somewhere else as well) then I
> would like to suggest that we should try
> to figure what exactly goes wrong with Bengali
> shortcuts there? Is it fixable? BTW, I am no GNOME
> expert. So my opinion can be pretty naive here.

Currently I have access to a Ubuntu Dapper box.
BN shortcuts are working in GNOME.

OK! I just did a test myself. My access machine runs
GNOME in Debian Sarge. I was testing with Firefox.
My keyboard switching combination is SHIFT+SHIFT
[ setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -symbols
"en_US(pc104)+ben(probhat)+group(shift_toggle)" ]

It works FINE both with EN and BN shortcuts.

Then I did a re-run of the test with a new keyboard
switching combination CTRL+SHIFT.
[ setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -symbols
"en_US(pc104)+ben(probhat)+group(ctrl_shift_toggle)" ]

It works for some but does not work for all shortcuts. This
happens with both EN and BN shortcuts.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that CTRL+SHIFT
switching is potentially problematic. For example:
suppose we need to press CTRL+KHA then (with probhat)
we need to press CTRL+SHIFT+k. Please note that
this combination can be a conflicting combination
with the keyboard switching.

Please feel free to add your opinion.

Cheers,
Golam