On 4/30/06, Deepayan Sarkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Personally, I have found that it can become erratic
> in some cases. Ex. using CTRL+SHIFT for switching.

I'm slightly confused about this. There are two types
of shortcuts, one in menu items etc (indicated by _ or &
in the translated strings), and one like CTRL-Q to quit an
application. Which ones are we talking about? The first type
are activated by pressing ALT. Where does the
CTRL key come in? If we are talking about the second,
I didn't even  know that they could be translated.
Can they? How?

You are quite right. Issue is really with the bad choice
of switching combination. But if you face this problem
while using Bengali interface, it is natural to suspect
something is wrong with bn shortcuts.

As far as KDE is concerned, it's not a good idea
to use CTRL-SHIFT as a shortcut.

 Equally in GNOME!!, I guess :-)

Quoting from
http://www.bengalinux.org/documents/bengali-keyboard-mini-howto.php,

But isn't the same page advocating the use of "CTRL+SHIFT"
for Bengali keyboard switching??  :-( I think it would be nice to
update the page.

> #2 Duplication of BN shorcuts
>
> This is a serious problem. Checking manually for
> duplication is not an easy task! However, I think
> its not difficult to write a script to check them
> automatically.

I don't think this will work. First of all, it's fine to have the same
shortcut in different submenus. Also, consider the two strings
"Enable Proxy" and "Disable Proxy". They will probably be
close together in the sources and in the same submenu as
well, but will never be displayed together. So, it's fine if they
have the same shortcut.

Maybe I didn't get you properly. You are saying, having same bn
shortcuts MAY still work which is correct. But problem is really
with situations where it DOES NOT work. Don't you agree that
if one ensures all shortcuts are different in a submenu
("location") then that's is SUFFICIENT condition such
that all shortcuts are functional?

For KDE, there's a tool for this (although I have never
actually used it) called Dr Klash. See

Thanks for the link!

Golam
--