Hi,

Its an announcement for the 'official' release of  GPoSTTL.
GPoSTTL has been developed as an open-source alternative for
TreeTagger, a Penn Treebank parts-of-speech tagger and a
crucial component of Anubadok.  With this availability
Anubadok's non-GPL dependence is OPTIONAL from now.
I should thank Progga for FreeBSD patches and Prof. Y. Someya
for permitting the use of his lemma list.

GPoSTTL is available from

"http://www.imsc.res.in/~golam/gposttl/";

GPoSTTL is derived from Brill's tagger which is a rule-based
tagger unlike TreeTagger which is a statistical tagger.
Being open-source, it is possible to add new verbs like "blog"
in its database quite easily, but that is not
possible for TreeTagger. Naturally, TreeTagger's performance
goes down while translating PO files as they contain many
such new terms.

So even though performance wise, TreeTagger is rated
slightly higher than Brills tagger but in my experience
(using with po_anubadok) difference isn't significant.
Moreover, GPoSTTL is less than one tenth in size of
TreeTagger. Recently, I have switched to GPoSTTL while
using po_anubadok.

Further, while digging through it, I realized that its possible
to improve current tagging method of GPoSTTL. So any of
you are interested in getting your hand dirty with NLP stuff
then it could be a nice playground!

Please mind that it is a parts-of-speech tagger for English.
So having a smart open-source tagger would be greatly
helpful for any machine translator that aims to translate
from English to XX. Further, it could be a crucial component
for futuristic Grammar correcting program for any English
word processor.

Please feel free to use, comment...

Cheers,
Golam