Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I have been (somewhat passively) watching the discussions/debates going on
>about the various technical decisions, and I'm feeling that the time has
>come when we should start having two sets of translations going into the
>GNOME CVS. This should make a lot of things easier to resolve - for
>example, bn_IN can have en shortcuts, while bn_BD can easily have bn
>shortcuts, or the reverse, whichever is preferred.
>Of course, it would mean extra work - but if we keep the base translations
>same (and we already do have a solid base for GNOME), and do the required
>modifications for each locale before committing into CVS, I don't think it
>would be very difficult. There would be one developer for each locale who
>would be responsible for committing the respective files into the
>repository - on our side we already have Runa-di, and for bn_BD, Runa-di
>and myself can definitely help the designated volunteer get a CVS account
>in GNOME.

If done promptly then CVS account can be obtained really fast.

>A point raised by Jamil was that of possible volunteer shortage. This is a
>valid point. However, from the bn_BD angle, most of our active translators
>are from BD, and for bn_IN, I would like to hear the opinion of Runa-di.

As mentioned above by sayam we already have a solid base and with
regular updations and commits the work generally doesnt pile up. Can be
easily maintained for bn_IN.

>Our GNOME translation project has matured significantly, and I don't think
>a "split" at this point of time would be beneficial, as it would allow for
>greater freedom and flexibility.

I *do* think a "split" at this point of time would be beneficial :)

>Regards,
>Sayamindu

regards
Runa