Hi all,

I am planning to replace the current text-file
database of Ankur's English to Bengali Dictionary
by a more formal database.

I am thinking of using SQLite3 as database
back-end. Perl binding for SQLite
is available, so it will make the transition easy.

I am proposing following fields for each
row of the database table. Please feel free
to give your suggestions for more fields
or anything else that you think will
be useful.

===============
id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
en_word TEXT,
pos_tag TEXT,
bn_word TEXT,
pronunciation TEXT,
explanation TEXT,
example TEXT,
original_contributor TEXT,
last_editor TEXT
status TEXT
===============

Let me give an explicit example:

================
id="123",
en_word="critical",
pos_tag="JJ",  ( Penn TreeBank parts-of-speech tag for "adjective")
bn_word="সঙ্কটজনক",
pronunciation="saṅkaṭ-janok",
explanation="অতি প্রতিকূল বা কঠিন অবস্হা",
example="তার শারীরিক অবস্থা এখন সঙ্কটজনক।",
original_contributor="Some good fellow",
last_editor="Another good fellow",
status="Unedited"
================

For each different Bengali meaning of a given English
word there will be different row (entry) in the database.

Having a different field for "explanation" from "bn_word"
will allow the machine translator to use the same database.
"original_contributor" field will help to find out
the contributions by a given user (was suggested
by Dipankar-da).

So please feel free to post your comments/suggestions...

Cheers,
Golam