Hi All,

I am happy to announce the 'official launch' of
the brand new interface of Ankur's English to Bengali
dictionary.

http://www.bengalinux.org/cgi-bin/abhidhan/index.pl

Old "bdict.pl" link will point to the new interface for
backward compatibility.

Main features:

*  Dictionary back-end is now powered by MySQL
database system.

*  Front-end has been enhanced by using CSS, 'bnwebtools'.

* Dictionary search now includes lemma-based search
results by default. For example, if you search for the word
"thought" then it will also give you results using "think".

* To remove certain type of duplications, couple of thousand
 entries from old database have been excluded. So number of
 'EDITED' entries in the database now stands at 10,001.

* Users can register themselves as members. Every users
(registered/unregistered) can contribute but only members
with rank of 'EDITOR' are allowed to take final decision.

* 'About page' of the dictionary has been re-written. Please
have a look and let me know any correction/suggestion on
this page.

* This dictionary is now "numero uno" in Google's pagerank
for the most relevant search string "english to bengali dictionary".
Naturally, dictionary access has now doubled to more than 20k
hits per month.

Dipankar-da: Given your suggestions have been instrumental
for this upgrade, I would like to propose your name to be
the "chief editor" of Ankur's Abhidhan. You will be taking
mostly editorial decisions. I will continue to do the
technical maintainance.

Please feel free to post your comments/suggestions.

Cheers
Golam
--
http://gravity.psu.edu/~hossain/