In a message dated 12/6/2002 5:18:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> ? from New "mommy"?? My 41/2 month female is 35lbs What is the best way to
>  stop her from jumping on people.

I'm not touching this part, Eileen did too good a job. <g>

> I have conflicting advice on leash/collar types  choke like vs
>  the non-muzzle leader leash...I am sure there is much real-life advice.

My pick is "None of the above".

The very best training is done OFF leash because it means the dog is truly
learning/understanding your cue and giving you the behavior of his own
volition.  Do it whenever you can...around the house, in a safe yard or park,
etc.  Attach a longline to his collar that you can step on if you're in an
area where running off could get him in trouble.

Obviously, off leash isn't always practical for safety reasons...so I go to
the next best thing, a flat buckle collar and a pocket full of yummy tidbits
(always).

The more you can build the relationship between your pup and yourself (YOU
want to be THE most interesting and exciting thing in HIS world) and the more
consistent you are in what you allow and don't, the more effective your
training will be.  That eliminates the need for specialized training devices
like a choke collar (requires VERY skilled use) or head halter.  To me, those
are remedial measures to solve a problem that's already developed...better to
avoid the problem from the get-go.

One exception...the head halter may be necessary for someone with limited
physical ability to hold fast against an errant berner.  Positive training
does NOT mean permissive so one should be ready and physically able to
control the dog and not allow a full of himself teenager to run amok.

>  then there is the burp/"toot" issues, but no loose stool and real good
about
>  no messes in house.

Hmmm...puppies typically get the hiccoughs but I don't think I'd be
comfortable with a gassy tummy (inmore ways than one ;-}.  If a dog's
producing excess gas it tells me something's off key somewhere in digestive
tract (very scientific, I know ;-} and can most likely be addressed with a
little fiddling.

Are you in communication with his breeder?  I think I'd discuss this with
her, she might have found that some foods work better than others with her
dogs.  If you don't have an ongoing relationship with his breeder, I think
I'd try phasing over to another food...one with a very different set of
ingredients, and see if that makes a difference.

Another root is to give probiotics but my leaning is to try to identify the
problem  first...rather than 'mask' the fact that a particular food doesn't
sit well with my dog.

> PS I used to live with just a spoiled rotten husband
> and a spoiled roten daughter...........now a spoiled rotten Berner, I love
it

Ummm....at the risk of sounding the party pooper...you may not love it down
the road.  I have a spoiled rotten, Berner princess.  At 10-3/4 yrs, she's a
benevolent dictator...sometimes I let her have her way, sometimes she lets me
have mine <g>.  But it wasn't fun when she was 10 months old, 85 lbs, and out
of control....I was in tears.  Was she a 'bad' dog?  No! What she was is a
smart, over-indulged, strong-willed, princess.

I was very lucky, although she was a take charge kind of girl, she wasn't
terribly concerned about possessions and status stuff.  My problem was making
her do what I wanted her to do...like getting in the car or going for a walk
or being civilized while I prepared her meal.  THANK HEAVENS she never went
in the direction of "not letting" me on the couch or growling if I came near
her toy..." like SO MANY "spoiled" berners do.  This leads down a road that
you DON'T want to go...

So, don't let that cute ball of fluff and brains sucker you...build a working
relationship with him, based on mutual respect...not indulgence, NOW, before
you find yourself in a place that's not much fun.

-Sherri Venditti (Long recovered from the bruised arms and wounded ego
inflicted by my first berner... and STILL learning from her every day.)