With Merlin we tried Casper (the friendly ghost), as a great name for a black dog. Then we tried Hector, as in 'since Hector was a pup. But none of those were right. Then he escaped from gates etc. that confined his 4 year old sister. Only a magician could do that, so he became Merlin. He had two Swiss kisses, like stars on his magician hat.

When Sunny was rescued and his Breeder gave him to us, Sylvia said all I want for this dog is for the rest of his days to be sunny. So he became Sunshine, soon shortened to Sunny and then became Sunny Bunny. Often we call him Bun.

Pilgrim came to us as a biter named Tiger. We were supposed to foster him and evaluate whether he could be salvaged. We KNEW he needed a new name for his new start. Buddy was too close to Bunny. We tried Friend, but that did not stick. Somehow we came upon Pilgrim, kind of a John Wayne version of friend. Later I realized that the damaged horse in Horse Whisperer was also called Pilgrim. After the Billy Graham crusade was in our town, we started calling him Pilly Graham or just Pilly. Most folks think we can't spell Philly, cause who would name a dog Pilly.

Love these stories of love.

Nell

--
Nell and John Ward -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]