My friend Pat, Marcy's "Agent" brought her to the shoot- I had to work :-(
Honestly, I can't say how it 'worked.' but Marcy was kind enough to shed for
them for the shoot, Pat said.  and it cleaned it up.  They cost about $200.
She said it was quiet- Marcy had to lie down while the it vacuumed around
her.
I can't imagine something the size of a dinner plate to be large enough to
hold all the dog and cat hair in this house... plus all the dirt + the kids
(3) & friends track in and out...

(I have a $125 Sears Kenmore Whispertone canister (which is not so quiet)-
but did an ok job when it was new; 5 years ago- but there's a bend in the
hose attachment (where it connects to a solid metal tube where you turn the
rotor on and off) and which you can't access- and that gets clogged- and is
most difficult to clear- and I doubt it is cleared completely at this
point...  I wouldn't buy this machine again; and would look for a machine
that does not have this sort of bend- or is at least accessible...
I like the canister "hoses" because you can also get the dog hair that gets
stuck in the cobwebs in the ceilings and rafters.  An upright would just be
a pain for me.  I change the bag about every 2-3 weeks and vacuum on average
4-5 times per week...) Bags are not cheap.  (amazing I buy something I'm
only going to throw away!)   Me, I reduce/reuse/recycle in other areas of my
life but  I have to have a bag- as un-environmentally sound as it may be- I
don't want to see or know how much dirt I've cleaned up- 'just make it go
away!'  the idea of cleaning a vacuum is not for me!

I have a "shop vac" for my grooming shop and I'm considering getting a small
one for $45 for the house when I have to replace the Kenmore- which will
probably be w/in the year.  They have more 'horse power and larger
capacities plus can handle water- than a conventional house vacuum.  I have
hard wood, tile, and slate floors... with the exception of 2 rooms with area
rugs...  so I don't know how they handle wall to wall...
cheers.
~Rebecca (owned by Bernese since 1989)
Canine-Corner "from hair to heel"
Grooming & Training