Dear Berner-Lover,

I am sorry I cannot respond to you by name, but you
didn't sign your email.  I wanted to respond to you as
some one who has not been involved in the breed for
very long and who not too long ago went through the
process you are going through right now.

So to start--it sucks.  There is no reason to sugar
coat it.  You know, probably as I did, that you could
care for a dog, that you are responsible, and that you
would have the love and devotion that would make a
good home.  The trouble is, in this world, there is no
way for other people to know that.  There are so many
people who, not with malice or evil intents, want dogs
and shortly after give them up (after puppyhood--when
it is too much work, etc.), too many people who
neglect the dogs they have, and way, way too many
people who simply don't have the where-with-all to
care for a dog.  The sad fact is that breeders need to
screen closely not just to see who you are today but
whether who you are today will accurately reflect the
person you will be for the next 10 years.  When you
put on top of that that these breeders are giving you
these babies that they spend endless nights caring for
and are the children of the dogs in their family--it's
easy to see why they can be so protective. I think
that seeing it like this makes it easier to understand
why some breeders seem so unfriendly.  Have you tried
going to some local club events?  I found that meeting
breeders and talking to them about their dogs and
after finding a friendly one who had nice dogs then
asking about pups was a much better way to get
friendly responses.

Now I do want to say that there is a tendency in the
berner community to be a little, how shall I say this,
insular and worse yet snobbish.  It is true that
people involved in the breed for years know it better
than you or I ever will.  But I vividly recall feeling
a little bit like some breeders thought I wanted a
puppy for the sole purpose of torturing it by locking
in a tiny crate for 18hrs in a 100degree room with no
water.  And since so many people are so taken with
berner's looks, it seemed to me that many breeders
make a point of emphasizing (ad nauseum) the drawbacks
of the bernese (health, size, etc.).  In truth you are
not the first person, nor do I suspect you will be the
last, who has been browbeaten by some breeders when
all you want is a little pup to love.   It sounds to
me like you are having a combination of bad luck and
failed expectations. Like I said, you know you but a
breeder doesn't so maybe the next time you talk to one
and the conversation starts to go south you can ask
what they are looking for, what you seem to be
missing.  In truth it could partly be communication
issues (you not realizing what they want to know, them
not understanding what you are trying to tell them),
and it could partly be that this is just not the
breeder for you. The long and short of it is it will
be frustrating. It will take phone calls, long
conversations, and time.  But, once you find a breeder
who is for you, their questions will feel those of a
protective parent and not an investigating officer.

So why not just take the short route and go to a
puppymill.  I won't reiterate that moral issues of
puppymills because you surely have heard about them.
They are just horrible, and if I start to write about
it I will just be a blubbering mess.  But when I was
deciding it was not that cruelty of puppymills that
deterred me (I truthfully didn't know that much about
them) but what these breeders can offer you that won
me over.  They get to know you, not just your wallet,
and they can match a dog to your lifestyle and
personality.  Me, I am young active and have a very
flexible schedule so Smokey was meant for me. What
"puppy mill" could have done that?  When I had trouble
with his food, his housetraining, anything, his
breeder was able to consult with me and give me
recommendations.  I know that if I ever have any
questions about anything I could call him.  That is
just not something that can be overlooked.  So, my
advise is to stick it out. I know that it is tempting
to just grab one of those puppies at the local pet
store but your life will be the worse for it--and in
the greater scheme of things isn't an extra six months
of work worth a pup that can be happy and healty for
its life?

Good Luck to you,
Radha and Smokey (Mom--the sun is out--why are you at
your computer?!!)