Dear Hildy & the list-

I am a current Berner owner with a long history of other breeds, including
Great Danes, Samoyed's, & Shelties.
Although this post may not be directly responsive to your post, I feel I
must provide it anyway.
In 1993 I had an invisible fence professionally installed and trained my
dogs thoroughly with it.  I opted for it due to regulations in our
development regarding perimeter fencing.
It worked reliably with my Dane & Sheltie, but my Samoyed never minded it
all that well.  She had a lot of fur (like a Berner) and was very stubborn,
she would just walk through it when inclined and sit outside the fence on
the front doorstep.
Anyway, it never precluded other animals & dogs from coming in our yard,
which they did from time to time, and my Dane was fairly territorial.  So
this probably was not ideal.
BUT, it worked very reliably for my Dane & Sheltie.
It was not until my dear, beloved Sheltie got out for the 2nd time in 6
years, that I decided to ditch the invisible fence for an extensive,
physical dog run.
Why did I do so?  Because on that day, my dear Mogul was hit by a speeding
car in front of our house & killed.  To be honest, I have never gotten over
it, but that is besides the point.
Technically, the fence DID work, 99.9% of the time, just not on the one
occasion that it mattered.
I would hate to see anyone have the same tragedy, so I wanted you to know.
I wouldn't trust it for my Berner Davos in a million years.

Best of luck in making your decision,
Eve Berman