----- Original Message -----
From: "Rita" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I know the standard answer to the raised food bowl issue is to quote
> the Purdue study. But can anyone tell me, are there any other known
> studies that have either contradicted or confirmed the results at
> Purdue? Is Purdue the only known study done, or just the latest, or
> the most respected?

The Purdue study is huge, and it is the only prospective study which has
been done--it has been tracking a large number of dogs over many years and
recording info on those dogs. In other words, the dogs have not bloated at
the time they enter the study, and the study explores which dogs bloat and
examines how this relates to various factors. All the other studies done are
retrospective, where dogs have already bloated and then they look back and
try and figure out why.

My pals in the science field (I work in a university setting) looked at the
parameters of the study and all the technical side of how the information
was generated and analyzed and told me that it looked like an excellent
study--well planned, well conducted, good number crunching. So I place my
trust in that rather than people's best guesses.

Remember, most dogs are not going to bloat no matter how they are managed,
because the % of dogs which bloat is small. If you know your risk factors,
you can really put the odds in your favor. I almost lost my beloved Akita
(now departed from age) to bloat and one of my dogs is high risk due to a
first degree relative dying from bloat (in spite of fast intervention and
surgery). If you are in the small % that bloats, the fact that it is not
hugely common is no comfort at all. I follow the advice from Purdue.
--
Eileen Morgan
March 30th Clinic Information: http://www.enter.net/~edlehman/USEAAR2.html

---