OH NO!!!!!!   It must be a gene in these dogs!!!!   Nick is a thief too!!!
So far he hasn't taken food off the counter, but then he's still only 7
months old and around 75 pounds.   I guess he could easily get up on the
counter and reach things from the very back if he wanted to.   But having
no 'teens' in the house does help.

Nick has stolen 2 teatowels on 2 different occasions (about a month apart)
and torn them into little pieces (1x2 inches each) and eaten them.   If he
hadn't left a 4x4 inch piece of evidence in the hallway each time, we would
have had no idea that he had eaten them.   It only took him a minute to
steal the teatowel off the counter and devour it.    I called his vet (a
Berner owner too) for instructions and then used a syringe to give him
diluted peroxide.   Both times he got this very funny look on his face
about a minute later and threw up a lot of tea towel pieces with his
recently eaten dinner.   I then pulled out the teatowel pieces from the
pile and pieced them together like a puzzle to make sure we had them all. I
was happy to see that he had at least had torn both teatowels into tiny
pieces before swallowing them.   We have to watch him closely, because he
likes to steal shoes and other items.   He doesn't seem to be chewing them
now, but he does carry them around.    He gives them back when you ask,
sometimes more willingly than others.   He's not going to be trusted when
we are at work for awhile longer yet.   Other than this quirk, he's just
about perfect!!!!   ;-D   (I'm not prejudiced in any way here, mind you.)

Joye Neff and Nicky (But MOM, I'm only bringing you treasures)
(and Ben - who always brings us a toy when we get back home)
Mt. Lebanon, Pittsburgh, PA)