On 2/23/07, Danny Baumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - Have a window with a maximum size hint AND with the NET_WM_MAXIMIZE
> action set
> - maximize that window
> - window decorations will disappear (when using decoration cropping)
> while the window keeps its old size
>
> Normally, Beryl should not accept the maximization state change if there
> is a maximum size hint set (kwin does that).

Right, I'm not sure we should deny the maximization entierly. An
example are windows that have max size set larger than the screen for
instance.

> The problem with our tool at work is that it first has a maximum size
> hint and then, at a certain point, removes this hint and maximizes the
> window. As the X messages are swapped (is this possible in the X
> protocol?), the window gets in a state where it keeps its old size,
> loses its window decorations (decoration cropping enabled) and maximizes
> when I click on it.

The fact that the window maximizes when you click them is an "ancient"
Beryl bug that needs to be tracked down, too... Or so I belive.

We can probably improve the decoration-cropping too, make it a bit
smarter with regards to size hints.

I find the X events beeing switched around rather interesting though,
how are you seeing this? I guess it could be a FILO buffer on the
client side hidden away somewhere, but I find it strange. I doubt the
X server would push events to us in another order than it was received
too, it just doesn't make much sense. Though I can't answer you if the
X server can do this (Didn't find any information about this),  I
wouldn't rule out a Beryl bug here, unless you have some way of
telling what really happens.

I assume you've looked at the -v -v option in beryl? Might give some
more information about events, though not very complete at the moment.

It sounds to me like we don't really evalute the size hints when we
receive them, but afterwards at some event. This would explain some
strange behavior we've seen with other bugs in the past too (like the
OOo bug or xinerama maximization).

I'll investigate the resize-on-click issue ...

--
Kristian