Thanks for the pointer. It makes it clear we need to make build changes (and possibly upgrade our development environent) in order to support MacIntel. This will be low priority until the official 601 release is out for all current platforms.

We will add the MacIntel to supported platforms after the current release is out.

Meanwhile, I assume that 504 (with the socket bridge to the J Engine) will work on the MacIntel. Perahps someone could confirm this.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Oleg Kobchenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Beta forum" <beta@jsoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Jbeta] crashes on Mac Intel for latest beta

Didn't you hear of Rosetta?  :-)

Building a JNI Universal Application with Xcode
http://developer.apple.com/java/jniuniversal.html

Technical Q&A QA1295 Java on Intel-based Macintosh Computers
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1295.html

--- Eric Iverson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The java error report indicates it can't find libjnative.jnilib. This is the
c program that bridges between java and the J Engine (libj601.dylib).

I am curious about the Mac Intel. Is this one of the brand new Macs on an
intel x86 chip? If so, I am surprised that anything works. The J Engine is a power pc binary and must be running in an emulator. Amazing that this works. Note that the libjnative.jnilib is also a ppc binary and would also need to be run under an emulator. The java may run with native intel load libraries and there may be a problem mixing them. There are lots of unknowns (at least
for me) that will take time for us to sort out.

I've assumed you installed the Mac version of the J beta. Or did you install the Linux version? The fact that the linux intel J Engine binary would run is even more amazing than the emulator theory. Please confirm that it is the
Mac version of J that you installed (or not).

The right longer term solution for us is to build a native Mac Intel verion.
But that won't happen until at least after the offical 601 is out for all
currently supported platforms.

If you have the time and interest you might do some research for us on the
web. Is there information about macintel java and ppc binary dlls.

Another small difference is that you are running the latest java 1.5.0_06
and all our testing so far has been with the 1.4.x versions. For what it is worth, 1.5.0_06 worked without problems in the 64 bit version on linux 64.

Ensure that libjnative.jnilib is in your J directory (that is where the
loader will look).

Please confirm that you did a normal install of the latest Mac beta with no
customization. In particular that ~/j601 is the J directory.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Manti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>