We will consider the use of the word byte in the 3!:4 and 3!:5 docs as you suggest (no promise).

I think the 5 and _5 extension is unnecessary as the programmer can easily handle this in a cover function (use IF64 to use 3 or 2) if required.

----- Original Message ----- From: "bill lam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <beta@jsoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:18 AM
Subject: [Jbeta] 64 bit integer conversion

Current J
3 ic y   J integers to sets of 8 characters (J64 only)
_3 ic y sets of 8 characters to J integers (J64 only)
2 ic y   J integers to sets of 4 characters
_2 ic y sets of 4 characters to J integers

In order to make code more portable, and similar to parameter type x in cd, will
it be possible to add another option, like
5 ic y   J integers to sets of 4 bytes or 8 bytes depending on 32/64
_5 ic y sets of 4 bytes or 8 bytes to J integers depending on 32/64

also it may be better to use term 'byte' instead of 'character' because
'character' might mean unicode character.

--
regards,
bill