To: <beta@jsoftware.com>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 8:19 PM
Subject: [Jbeta] 64-bit support for calling libraries from J and calling J Engine from 64-bit clients

I am enjoying learning J (J601p). I am trying to pick a platform (Win64 or
Linux/AMD64) to settle on.

The specific examples for calling a user library or calling J-engine are for Win32 and it isn't clear to me if 64-bit Windows/Linux support is just a documentation issue or if there is missing support in J64. For example the <jroot>\system\examples\data\jdll.h referred to in the docs is Win32
specific; there seems to be no .h file covering the 64-bit J engine C
interface on either Windows or Linux. The documentation for 15!: is also Win32 centric: for example Win64 uses __fastcall not __stdcall and there is
no explicit mention of 64-bit support.

It would help me if the implementors could fill-in this table and indicate
if the support requires just more documentation/headers or
planned/unplanned changes to J.  FWIW, I have no plans to use the COM
interface.

+-------+--------------+----------------------------+
|       |  Calling     | Calling                    |
|       |  J64 Engine  | 64-bit DLL/Shared Library  |
|       |  from 64-bit | from J64 using __fastcall  |
|       |  caller      | or AMD64 ABI               |
| Win64 |              |                            |
| Linux |              |                            |
| AMD64 |              |                            |

Thanks,
Joseph Battelle