Is this a  known problem?  I was experimenting with file locking and
corrupted a spreadsheet.
Fortunately, the backup was fine.  Session outlining the problem follows.

--
Devon McCormick, CFA

NB. Open the following file in MS Excel:
  fexist flnm=. 'C:\amisc\Money\Accounts\portfolioSince2002.xls'
1
  ]fnum=. 1!:21 <flnm
269700432
  fsize flnm
195584
  1!:31]fnum,0,fsize flnm NB. Lock the whole file...
1

NB. Now, I attempt to change the spreadsheet in Excel and
NB. get a message indicating it's locked and I should save the
NB. file on which I'm working to a different name. A name is chosen
NB. for me and the file I have open in Excel is changed to this name.

  1!:32]fnum,0,fsize flnm NB. Unlock the file.
1

NB. Close the renamed spreadsheet I was working on. Try to open
NB. the original - it is now corrupt and cannot be opened in Excel.

  1!:22 ] fnum NB. Close the file
1

NB. Still corrupted.