On 10/1/07, Eric Iverson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unless someone comes up with a unix insight you have indicated what I feared
> I must do. That is, iterate ARGV[0] that has no / over each path in PATH.
> The source code for which does this but it is unbelievably complicated and
> convoluted as it seems to deal with many issues that probably disappeared
> years ago or happen only on strange unix 3rd cousins. The issues in PATH
> include quotes, : in names, leading blanks, interior blanks etc. If the
> nasty cases are ignored the problem is pretty simple. I have tried to find a
> statement of the proper form of PATH to no avail.

I do not think those issues have much relevance under UNIX/Linux.

For example, : is the separator character for $PATH, so cannot appear
in the name of an entry of $PATH.

Likewise, quotes and spaces have no special meaning inside $PATH.
(Though they generally do have meaning in surrounding contexts.)

Anyways, I think a strong argument could be made that unix and
windows should have completely separate code for handling PATH
issues.  They can share common utilities, but the rules are so very
different that sharing code just makes things complicated for
little reason.

Thanks,

--
Raul