a nice principle is to have the UI duplicated:
mousing, keyboarding, few mixes.
Then all (most) in either.

~greg
krsnadas.org

--

from    Chris Burke <cbu...@jsoftware.com>
reply-to        Beta forum <beta@jsoftware.com>

On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 01:00 AM, Dan Bron wrote:
Chris Burke wrote:

>>  Right double-click won't work, but I instead made it so that you need to
>> hold down Ctrl (or Shift) for the double-click to load Find in Files,
>> otherwise the word is selected as usual.

> I suggest that left-doubleclick with no metakey modifier means "highlight the
> word", as you've describe here, and left-SINGLEclick
 modified with CTRL means "find in files", but left-SINGLEclick
modified with SHIFT means "edit 'selectedword'".

That is, the metakey modifiers apply to single-clicking, not
double-clicking, and that ctrl- and shift- have different meanings.
This is more consonant with current Windows conventions.  Also, "edit"
is a nice productivity tool, and SHIFT-leftclick to edit a definition
will be familiar with Dyalog users.

Good idea, thanks. The Ctrl key is defined as suggested. For Shift, it
is defined as search word assigned - the problem is that we don't know
exactly where a definition is sourced, since there could be several
such. It could be improved so that if there is only one hit, go to it.

--

from    bill lam <bbill....@gmail.com>
reply-to        Beta forum <beta@jsoftware.com>

???, 18 ??? 2010, Sherlock Ric ?????(?):
> On Win7, 32-bit

> Choosing View|Toggle Line numbers in the edit Window without an open script
> causes J to crash.

> If a script file is open in the edit Window then it seems to work fine.

> Ric

source code are available in addons svn, do 'svn update' will fetch
related into directory gui/gtk and gui/gtkide  And then you may debug
and patch.

--

from    Chris Burke <cbu...@jsoftware.com>
reply-to        Beta forum <beta@jsoftware.com>
to      Beta forum <beta@jsoftware.com>
date    17 May 2010 09:31
subject Re: [Jbeta] Gtk IDE

On Monday, May 17, 2010 08:14 PM, Sherlock, Ric wrote:
>> From: Dan Bron

Right now, the only complaint I have is that in the IJX window,
pressing home brings me to the 0th column (left-hand-margin), so I
have to hit it twice to get to the true beginning of the line.  This
is in contrast to the old C++ IDE, and is a productivity friction, for
me.

> I hadn't noticed that yet but now that you point it out I agree that the J6
> behaviour (both in IJX & IJS windows) was preferable.

Fixed now, thanks.

from    Don Guinn <dongu...@gmail.com>
reply-to        Beta forum <beta@jsoftware.com>
to      Beta forum <beta@jsoftware.com>
date    17 May 2010 05:40
subject Re: [Jbeta] Gtk IDE

Looks good. No comments yet except it would help if you would add the
date and possibly time the download was created. That way one doesn't
have to retrieve the download to see if it is newer than what was
already downloaded. Kind of like the "Please listen to all the options
as they have changed" message that's six months old. Also, looks like
the J Beta page is out of date as it lists betas for several systems
and does not reflect this download.