I haven't had a chance to look at this, but if there is a big I expect it
is in tar create. Most of the testing was done with tar 'x' (that is,
extract). Quite a few addons, with quite a range of files and folder
structures extract successfully.

Can you confirm that the problem you found was with a file that the J tar
created, rather than a file created by standard unix tar.

If the bug is in J tar create checksum then it is probably easy to figure
out the fix.