Hi all, here's an update for the SpaceNav work I did over the summer.
Hopefully this will help with future development.

> From the svn logs he made very good progress. He commented there
> that his ndof implementation is working in Windows and Mac but in my
> Linux it did not worked :(

Yeah, sorry I never got around to Linux! It should be fairly easy to integrate
this summer's GHOST_NDOFManager code on that OS as well. Nuclear
(creator of open source driver) offered to help with this, and his API is much
cleaner than 3Dconnexion's ancient Magellan API. I highly recommend
using the open source driver and ignoring the legacy support.

> And based on the part of the code I saw, I think that his work is
> going to be much more clean than my patch :D

Thanks! The older NDOF system was a mess, so I started over with proper
handling of the device and its events. Operators, keymaps, all that. As a
bonus, users no longer need to find and install a plugin -- all support is built
in to blender.

Built-in support: There was one issue with 3Dconnexion not allowing svn
distribution of their Mac header files (even though these are part of the freely
downloadable driver package) but that can be resolved later by using
the Mac's HID manager directly. Yet another reason to use the open
driver on Linux! Strangely enough, this is not an issue on Windows.

> When his work is going to be merged to the trunk? Only at the end of
> the GSoC project?

The project is officially over, after which I got sucked into grad school
full time. Over the holiday I've been working on blender's tablet code only.
There are tablet bug reports with my name on them, and I want them gone
ASAP! :)  This requires simultaneous cross-platform changes, so it's in a
new branch (branches/merwin-tablet). Once the tablet is working great on
all platforms, I'll submit one big patch.

SpaceNav is still on my radar, as enthusiastic users, coders, and
3Dconnexion employees continue to "encourage" progress in this area.

> From the GSoC project log I think he still has a lot of work to do :(

Yes and no. The foundational stuff is all in place except the Linux
contribution to GHOST_NDOFManager. That should take a day or two
once you're familiar. Much more work is needed for operators and spaces
to actually use these events. I used the 3D view to test the new event
layers below -- motion events change the view turntable style, and one
of the buttons fits the selection into view. The bulk of future work will be
to expand tools and such to deal with NDOF events in interesting and
useful ways. So I don't have a lot of work to do, but *we* do! :)

That's it for now! Glad someone else is interested in getting this stuff
working again.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire