On Monday, July 28, 2008, at 12:01PM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On 28 Jul 2008, at 8:44 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>> On Monday, July 28, 2008, at 07:56AM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> > wrote:

>>> Perhaps we could remove the "=" padding at the end, and re-attach
>>> them
>>> if necessary?
>>
>> That sounds worse than the warning, and a potential nightmare for
>> compatibility.  If you implemented this, then saved a file with a
>> nightly build, could you then read it with 1.3.18?  If not, I'd
>> guess that a few users would be fairly upset.  Not that it matters
>> to me personally...I'm using openssl for base64 in my own version.
>>
>> Why add newlines in the first place?  A single line is easier to
>> ignore in text editors that allow long lines, and updates to the
>> alias will only cause a single-line diff for people who use version
>> control systems.  Inserting newlines seems like a solution in search
>> of a problem.
>>

>Some programs reading bibtex have problems with long lines, as we've
>encountered before.

Is that a problem with the file fields?  They're placed at the end of each item
in the BibTeX output specifically to avoid the buffer length problem (ISTR
adding a comment on that to BibItem.m).  Annote/Abstract still default to the
top of the item in order to preserve backwards compatibility for version
control users, so they'll unfortunately cause problems for some users.

>We certainly should accept added newlines, because other bibtex or
>plain text editors may insert them.

Absolutely, and fortunately Omni's base64 conversion handles that as you noted.
 If a user mucks about in the .bib file with a text editor or pretty-printer,
the results are his own fault :).  The openssl BIO functions have a flag to
allow newlines, but it didn't work with Rolf's snippet for some reason
(possibly the additional whitespace in the email).  I should look into that if
I get bored...