sorry, this is a real newbie one and it's virtually OT to boot...I ask for the
list's indulgence. I have in the past created a custom bib using makebst. Now
when (several years later) I want a custom bib that contains annotations for a
critical bibliography but can't get it to run at all.

I have tried latex makebst (and put the right file path) but it says 'latex:
command not found' in the Terminal. TeXShop is working fine so I'm a bit stuck
on how to get the process to start (I even tried running it through TeXShop but
it gave an error:-))

Running Snow Leopard with TeXLive 2008 activated. (Is this something to do with
32bit?)

any help appreciated.