On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxw...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:09 PM, James Owen wrote:
>

>> On Thursday, January 28, 2010, at 04:48AM, "Adam R. Maxwell"
>> <amaxw...@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My guess is that the iPad would basically require a new application;
>>> BibDesk is heavily oriented and optimized for usage on a laptop or desktop
>>> system.  That would require significant effort, not to mention a developer
>>> with an iPad :).
>>
>> Well, no, as Apple will have an iPad simulator for developers, just like
>> they have for the iPhone.
>
> My understanding is that this isn't a good substitute for testing on the
> hardware; certainly from the performance standpoint, but also for the user
> experience (gestures and so forth).

It is not. Because the simulator runs with the performance of the host
computer and isn't really an emulator. The next problem is that not
all API-calls and all features of Cocoa is available on the iPhone OS
(what comes directly to my mind is garbage collection but there's
more) but in the simulator the stuff will just work.
And w/out a real test device you won't really see how it will work out
-- gestures and stuff.
I know developers who have all iterations of the iPhone (Classic, 3G,
3GS) for testing (well, they are making money w/ it which makes it a
different case) because it's needed because of performance
differences. Not that much of a problem with the iPad *for now* but
still.

Niels