Themis: What do you think of the old icon of Skim 1.4? You could download the
older version of the app, copy the icon from the old version, and paste it onto
the latest version of Skim in your Applications folder.

Here is Apple's instructions for how to copy and paste icons (it's very easy):

https://support.apple.com/lv-lv/guide/mac-help/mchlp2313

Here is the download link for Skim 1.4 with the old icon:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/skim-app/files/Skim/Skim-1.4.41/

That would be a much easier solution than redesigning the current icon.