Perhaps the following can fix the CPU problem. In Terminal.app, type the
following (while BibDesk is not running):

        defaults write -app BibDesk BDSKSaveLinkedFilesAsAlias -bool true

This can later be changed back using

        defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKSaveLinkedFilesAsAlias

This will take full effect after saving and reopening the .bib database after
this has been done. This is also explained the Tips & Tricks on the Wiki.

Please let me know if this works.

HTH,
Christiaan