Dear Dr. Thakur,
,

Thanks a lot for sharing your view. You have outlined the analysis part
quiet well. But that's the begining stage and presently the government
bodies and many other institutions are already involved in it. But what I
would like to stress upon is, that if we concentrate on the entire state at
once then we may be distributing the entire energy and fundings in putting
the things at place, so by the time such the development will begin the
government will change and we will be pretty much struck where we started.
The problem is multi-dimensional. In my view it would be better to focus on
a set of districts which can be developed more rapidly. Then use the growth
of these districts to fund the development of other so called 'quasi
infrasturcture available' districts. In this way these second set of
districts will give rise to complementary economies to the first set of
districts and this growth then be further channeled into other less
developed or not at all developed districts. This is not something new, this
is how India is developing..
By analysing the strength, weekness, oppurtunity and threat of each district
we can build a credible outline as how much time it will take to develop
each district. Strength and weekness of each district can be easily
calculated but the oppurtunity and threat are not so lucid to enunciate. As
we do not only have threat from the criminals or naxals but we have economic
threat emanating from other states as well. Our products or services should
be credible and lucrative, as well as economical, so that the government
does not have to bear the cost of subsidy.
Now enough of talking, let me share some of the ideas on Patna. Since I am
from Patna, i know it better than other districts

Strength:
a. Capital of Bihar
b. All the Executive, Administrative and Judicairy headoffices are located
here. there are many more... now coming to the point...
c. It has mainly service based economy.
d. education sector is the single largest revenue generator.
e. center of trade
f. high number of mobile subscribers
g. fastest growing mobile economy in india.
h. fastest emerging FMCG market
i. on the line of becoming the Metro city.

Weekness:
a. Criminals and Anti social elements, political protests and all the
political rubbish
b. Mismanagement of almost all the infrasturctures i.e. urban, social,
environmental etc.
c. Quiet dormant status of Bihar chamber of commerce
d. Walled garden approach to the local economy.
e. People are hesistent to try new services
f. Patna has highest per capita district domestic product income but inspite
of that the openness of the financial institutions in giving loans for
further devlopemnt or starting new lucrative schemes is negligible.

There are many more, but i wont discuss as my goal is not to count the
weeknesses but development of bihar

Oppurtunity
a. Can become a hub of educational services in India, the need is for
starting various research organisations.
b. The software services can give a much needed boost to the economy the
need is for deveopling self employment among the youth and help them in
starting software firms in Patna. As the firms from outside the state are
reluctant to invest.
c. Mobile economy can put us in sky, the need is to provide subsidy, but
there is a technical glitch here i dont know if the state government can
provide concessions or subsidy to telcom services? As telecom services are
under central government.
d. An exellant place for starting large scale fishing industry.
e. Can become a hub for second hand vehicle markets owing to the fact that
the vehicale density of Patna is at par with other developed cities in
India.
f. Need to make both land and water tourism popular.
g. Creating efficient value chains for agro economic activity such that
almost 10% of the grains are detroyed every year due to inefficient
channeling.
h. more shopping malls are needed for better channeling of money.
i. It can be deveoped as solar energy hub
j. efficient manure and waste utilsation can make us further energy
independent
k. Bihar chamber of commerce should be given more executive power and should
be made a quasi executive body to promote the trade.
l. service providers should be encouraged to open more such centers.
m. efficient rail commerce with better equipments can give a good thrust to
the local service economy
n. can be developed as a hub of airline industry due to its strategic
location
o. the elcetronics and mehanical industry of patna can be encoraged for mass
production of cheap cousumer goods
p. can become the startegic testing and development ground for light weight
combat motor boats.

Threats
a. Change of government may mar all the developemnt
b. development of other B level cities like kota may pose significant threat
to education economy
c. development of service industry other nearby cities like Varanasi,
Ranchi, darjling etc. may snatch the servcie devopment.
e. The presence of chinese goods smuggled through nepal is a serious threat
to elcetronics industry of patna.

There are many more of such factors. Please contribute about your district
also, so that one day we all can see the developed Bihar.

Regards
Ashish..

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Dr.Dhanakar Thakur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]