At Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:01:16 -0700,
Justin T Pryzby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A handful of times now our bind server (currently at 9.5.0, tracking
> ubuntu intrepid), has stopped responding to requests.  We notice this,

You should mean 9.5.0-P2 or some beta versions of 9.5.1.  Please be
more precise about the version.  It's important.

Secondly, to confirm whether the server stops responding to requests,
I'd suggest sending queries from an external machine using dig (or a
similar tool).  The response time of ssh, etc is so indirect that it's
hard to detect the real cause.

> Is that pid7138 select() an indication of the file descriptor problem?
> 626 seems very high.

Recent versions reserve lower number ports (like < 512) for TCP
connections.  So it's not strange to see an FD of 626 per se.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.