In message <4981c105.8080...@sun.com>, Stacey Jonathan Marshall writes:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Looking at the publically available parts of SunSolve there are at least
> > bug reports about it.
> >
> > Requires Support Contract tmp_mkdir()/xmemfs_mkdir() inconsistent with othe
> r xxxfs_mkdir() functions.  |  Open in a new window
> > bug 6253984
> > http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-1-6253984-1 - Sep 10,
>  2007
> >

> FYI this has been fixed in OpenSolaris, alas it has not been fixed in
> Solaris 9 or 10 and currently there are no plans to do so.
> >
> > Requires Support Contract tmp_mkdir()/xmemfs_mkdir() inconsistent with othe
> r xxxfs_mkdir() functions.  |  Open in a new window
> > bug 2152581
> > http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-1-2152581-1 - Sep 10,
>  2007
> >
> This is the Solaris 10 reference, its closed (hence no plans to fix).
> With sufficient justification it could be re-opened.

        The problem isn't that you can't work around it.

        The problem is that every application that calls mkdir(2)
        or mkdir will eventually discovery it the hard way by having
        something break that shouldn't.  The net cost involved will
        far exceed the cost to fix.  I would argue that it already
        has past that point.  I programed for the expected error
        behaviour and did not get it.  Error behavior that goes
        back to the initial creation of the open(2) system call.

        That the error heirarchy on all file system system calls
        is access, existance, write.  I learn't about this well
        before POSIX was even thought about.

        I called mkdir(2) knowing that I would effectively get the
        stat(2) call for free.  Now I need to call stat(2) then
        call mkdir(2) on ENOENT to work around this bug.  Every
        programer in the world that has worked with mkdir(2) should
        know what I knew.  We don't do looking for gotcha's in
        really on system calls.  We just program for the known
        interface.

        I would ask that Sun re-think this decision not to fix the
        bug.

        Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC