On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:43:52PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> named seems to use, by default, the OS hard limit on file descriptors,
> even though the ARM says "The default is |unlimited|. ". When it starts
> up as superuser, in theory it should be able to set both the hard and
> soft limit to "infinity", but it doesn't appear to be doing that, at
> least it doesn't on Solaris.

This is not my experience on Solaris 10. According to the code, if
undefined in the config file, it's raising them to RLIM_INFINITY
(lib/isc/unix/resource.c), and that's what I observe on my servers:

        $ plimit `pgrep named`
        23385:  /usr/local/sbin/named
           resource              current         maximum
          time(seconds)         unlimited       unlimited
          file(blocks)          unlimited       unlimited
          data(kbytes)          unlimited       unlimited
          stack(kbytes)         unlimited       unlimited
          coredump(blocks)      unlimited       unlimited
          nofiles(descriptors)  unlimited       unlimited
          vmemory(kbytes)       unlimited       unlimited

The invoking environment had nofiles settings of 256 (soft) and
65536 (hard) respectively, which appear to be the OS defaults.

--Shumon.