> Now, you can *also* turn on DDNS and use nsupdate on an inline-signing
> zone...  but, if you're going to be using DDNS anyway, then I'm unclear what
> operational need is being served by separating the data.  With or without
> inline-singing, your master file will be overwritten, and you'll have to
> concern yourself with freezing and thawing... and *with* inline-signing,
> there are more moving parts.  So, I'd probably just use DDNS, turn off
> inline-signing, and let the zone take care of itself.

Thank you for your detailed response, Evan. Here's my operational plan. First
of all we are a small organization with a few DNS zones that we manage for
ourselves. I have also grown accustomed to using nsupdate -- the changes to the
zone files are few and infrequent. From time to time I want to review the
current state of the zone files. I have been accustomed with v9.8 to taking a
copy of a signed zone file and stripping out the DNSSEC-related records in a
text editor for easy review. I have been using dnsviz.net to verify
periodically that DNSSEC is operating properly. Now in v9.9, I can eliminate
this somewhat tedious step with my text editor because with inline signing,
there is always an unsigned zone file available to me. If I am in a hurry to do
my review after making an update, I can use "rndc sync myzone". Similarly in my
nightly backup cron job, I can now backup both the signed and unsigned zone
files after "rndc freeze myzone" to make sure they have incorporated th
 e latest changes. I'm assuming that "rndc freeze myzone" freezes both the
signed and unsigned zone files. I'm not worried about the freezing and thawing
-- my cron job has been doing that with v9.8 with no apparent problems. I am
also not worried about the increased number of moving parts -- I think it is
reasonable to rely upon ISC to get this all working correctly. In v9.9.0b2,
there is a problem with "rndc freeze" (reported earlier as [ISC-Bugs #26632])
so I will continue to test this with subsequent versions. Thanks again. Jeff.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School