On Jan 16, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
> Is there anything technically wrong with having a SOA MNAME field that isn't
> listed as a NS record?

Sure.  The SOA MNAME is expected to be the "primary master" nameserver for the
zone; it's where things like dhcpd and such send dynamic updates for the zone
to.

> The server listed as MNAME will host the zone and is authoritative for the
> zone, but out of latency concerns it isn't ideal to have other resolvers
> querying this server.

Okay...so why would you use that nameserver at all, then?

Choose a nameserver which is suitable for other resolvers to query for your
master.

> Various online DNS diagnostic tools throw warnings, but as far as I can tell
> from the RFCs, this is a valid configuration. Is it valid? Are there any
> operational gotchas to be aware of or can I ignore the "warnings"?

It's not valid, but if you aren't doing dynamic updates to the zone, and you
can live without SOA serial # sanity checking by slave nameservers trying to
determine whether the zone has been updated or not by checking with the MNAME
server, sure, you can setup DNS in such a fashion and (probably) nothing else
would break.

Regards,
--
-Chuck